From Pimples to Moles: A Website About Dermatology

Should You See A Dermatologist About Sensitive Skin?

If you have sensitive skin, you may just assume it is something you have to live with forever. You get used to the redness and itching that happens if you use certain products or take too hot of a shower. You stop buying fun cosmetics because you just assume you'll react to them all. The truth is, though, you don't have to go on living this way. Sensitive skin is definitely a good reason to see a dermatologist. They can do a lot for you, including the following.

Pinpoint sensitivities

There are a lot of different skincare ingredients that people can be sensitive to. Parabens, sulfates, and artificial scents are just a few of them. People with sensitive skin often assume they should avoid all of these ingredients. But not every person with sensitive skin reacts to all of these ingredients. You might, for example, be sensitive to parabens, but okay with sulfates. A dermatologist can work with you to figure out what, exactly, you are sensitive to, and what ingredients you can tolerate. Knowing what ingredients you can tolerate will open up more options for you. For instance, you might realize you can buy and use certain makeup and cosmetic products you've been avoiding for years because you assumed you'd react to them.

Create a routine

When you have sensitive skin, you often need a skincare routine that does not contain products you're sensitive to, but one that also calms any irritation you're dealing with. A dermatologist can put this together for you. With their guidance, you can select a cleanser, moisturizer, and various serums to use that do more than leave your skin okay—they help it thrive. If you're dealing with other issues on top of sensitive skin, your dermatologist can recommend products that treat that issue without causing irritation. 

Prescribe calming products

Sometimes, in spite of your best efforts, you may come into contact with something that irritates your sensitive skin. When this happens, you need to know what to do. Your dermatologist can recommend products and a routine to follow when your skin does get angry. This might be a steroid cream or a special lotion you can use. It's comforting to know you have an "out" when irritation does appear.

If you have sensitive skin, don't just resign yourself to living with it. A visit to the dermatologist can be very helpful and informative.